The Cruising Adventures of Joan & Ben Schuetz aboard  
  |     home
      Part 1:  Caribbean Bound   |         Part 2: Southern ICW   |         Part 2A:  Preparing to cross the stream   |         Part 3: Cuban Delights   |         Part 4: Great Hospitality, Awful Beaurocracy   |         Part 4a: Interesting weather   |         Part 5: Lo siento (I'm sorry) no lobsters   |         Part 6: If you make plans, don't tell anyone   |         Part 7: At the western tip of Cuba   |         Part 8:  War Stories   |         Part 9:  Hanging out at Isla Mujeres, Mexico   |         Part 10: Isla Mujeres to Puerto Aventuras   |         Part 11: Bahia Ascension y Bahia del Espiritos Santos   |         Part 12: Oooh, the weather is so exciting. . . .   |         Part 13:  The illegal aliens beat it over the border   |         Part 14: San Pedro and Caye Caulker, Belize   |         Part 15: Bluefield Range (Belize)   |         Part 15A: Waiting for good weather at Bluefield Range   |         Part 16: Rio Dulce Bound   |         Part 17:  On the Rio   |         Part 18: A Spectacular Couple of Days   |         Part 19:  On to Lago Izabal   |         Part 20: More on Lago Izabal   |         Part 21: Rainbow on a full moon   |         Part 22: At the dock            |         Part 23:  It gets better & better & . . . .   |         Part 24: Antigua, Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenango   |         Part 25: Panajacel and Chichi   |         Part 26: Heide heads home   |         Part 27: Leaving river city for a while   |         Part 28: Back to Belize   |         Part 29: Time out for paradise   |         Part 30: Natures way   |         Part 31: Best of the best   |         Part 32: Jack's Cay No - Glover's Reef Si   |         Part 33:  A few days of ambling   |         Part 34: Treasures of a Lifetime   |         Part 35:  It's a better day today   |         Part 36:  The loss of a friend   |         Part 37:  Rite of passage   |         Part 38:  The last bit of open water   |         Part 39: 1000 miles and counting   |        Part 40:  Shoes-, me?
      Part 4a: Interesting weather
Thursday, December 2, 1999

On Tuesday, Novmeber 30, I listened to the weather on WLO 8,788 kHz at 7:00 AM and the forecast was for winds 20 knots N-NE, seas 7 to 9 feet, but for Wednesday through Thursday, the winds were to pick up greater than 25 knots with considerably greater seas.

In our snug little harbor off of the Bahia Honda we are so well protected that only if the wind achieves gale force will we even notice it.  But, there's not too much to do here and we want to get inside of the barrier reef only 20 miles further west for good fishing, snorkeling, island exploring and protection from the weather for cruising the length of western Cuba.  So, we decided to poke our noses out of the Bahia Honda and try to run for it.

Well, the seas were easily 9 feet with a short enough period that we were dropping off of them with a bang and then burying the bow in the next one occasionally having up to a foot of water on the forward deck.  Even Heide, with her high prow, was taking water over the bow.   After about an hour of slogging, the wind began picking up and it was obvious that not only would be continue to have a bad time of it, but when we got to the cut in the reef, it would be too dangerous to pass.

Once we made the turn back to Bahia Honda our ride improved greatly and the return was uneventful.  After checking in with the Guarda (again) with tail between our legs, we returned to Ensenada Santa Teresa to anchor.

Around midnight, the wind began to howl.  Radar showed a large squall moving through with some ferocity.  It was nice to be snug and warm that night.

Wednesday, December 1st, we just stayed hunkered down.  The wind continued at 20 to 25 knots and the weather forecast was pretty glum.  Around Midnight, contrary to the forecasts which called for high wind through Sunday,  the wind died down.  It stayed down until around 8 AM  on Thursday, when we checked out with the Guarda again.  Heide led through the channel to the outside.  The sailboat “Sundancer” behind them.  We used our dink to return the Cuban official to his hut, so we made up the rear.

On the outside, we found ourselves back in 7 to 9 foot seas, with an occasional really big guy. The seas were out of the E - NE so after we made the turn to the west, it was an OK ride.  Just had to mind our Ps and Qs.  Getting to the next stop as soon as possible would get us on the inside of the barrier reef for the rest of the trip to the west end of Cuba.  We only had a couple of hours in bad water before we made the entry through the reef at Quebrada de la Mulata.  The reef was very well marked and it was indeed a good all weather entry point.

Once inside, we were in 1 to 2 foot waves and lots of pretty scenery with shallow coral gardens, lots of small islands and great protection from the wind.  We cruised about an hour to Cayo Levisa and found a beautiful anchorage tucked in between mangroves.  Beautiful mountains to the south with an upside down W that resembles a butt crack.  It was easy to use that for navigation purposes.

The countryside is very pretty and only very sparsely populated.  What a surprise.  Not a fisherman, lobster pot or boat to be seen.  We understand the lobsters are abundant and can't wait to get into the water tomorrow to have a look see.

All for today.  We are safe, the boats are working great and the adventure continues.

Joan, Ben, Marg, Marv & Maggie